Latest Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) Research and Studies
Recent CAM Research Notes by our Practitioner Members
CAM Research Notes are submitted by our practitioner members and are open to comments by colleagues and the general public. Providing these notes helps our members to share news and research of interest with our community. As these are provided by professional practitioners they often include explanations and proper context to aid the general reader in better understanding the significance of the research.
If you are a practitioner and would like to submit research notes, please join us as a practitioner member.
There are a host of studies showing the usages of acupuncture for anesthesia during common medical procedures and events. These range from colonoscopies to labor to dental work, to appendectomy and more. Studies such as the one following are important as the reduction of stronger anesthesia agents is crucial for many types of cases, not to mention arguments revolving around costs of various procedures.
Acupuncture and the entire range of Chinese Medicine tools (cupping, herbal medicine, tuina, etc.) are used for a wide variety of acute and chronic pain issues. Low back pain, which this study looked at more closely, is a global problem that affects around 80% of the population at one point or another in their lifetime. There are a host of studies and clinical evidence that shows acupuncture being extremely useful for low back pain and related conditions.
Sjogren's syndrome is a chronic autoimmune based condition where the body attacks its own moisture producing glands. About 4 million people in the US are diagnosed with sjogren's and 90% of those are women. It can lead to chronic debilitating problems.
Within Chinese Medicine both acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine have been used to treat a range of autoimmune conditions including things like MS, Chron's, Rheumatoid Arthritis as well as Sjogren's.
There are a host of herbal formulas that show anti tumor properties for various cancers in clinical studies. Chinese researchers publishing in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology recently conducted a study looking at the effect of Shu Gan Liang Xue Formula on breast cancer tumors - particularly estrogen receptor positive breast cancer line ZR-75-1. Researchers investigated these anti-tumor functions in vitro and in vivo.
Researchers publishing in the Acupuncture in Medicine journal recently conducted a study utilizing auricular acupuncture detox techniques to encourage better treatment retention rates.
Recent Complementary and Alternative Medicine Research Synopses
Our monthly research synopses are part of our effort to share current complementary and alternative medicine research with practitioners and the general public. For the most part we try to choose studies which have direct clinical implications for practitioners and are relevant to the publics understanding of our medicine.
The research studies highlighted are drawn from a number of sources and are only a snapshot of what is available in medical journals worldwide. Our research synopses are included in our practitioner email newsletter which has open subscriptions (archives are also available).
Our most recent research synopses are below:
Acupuncture Research and News Feeds
- Localized cutaneous infections in immunocompetent individuals due to rapidly growing mycobacteria.
- "Obamacare" covers fifty-four million Americans for acupuncture as Essential Healthcare Benefit.
- Electrical response grading versus House-Brackmann scale for evaluation of facial nerve injury after Bell's palsy: a comparative study.
- Electroacupuncture inhibits excessive interferon-γ evoked up-regulation of P2X4 receptor in spinal microglia in a CCI rat model for neuropathic pain.
- Expectations from an integrative medicine consultation in breast cancer care: a registry protocol-based study.
- A Qualitative Systematic Review of Patients' Experiences of Acupuncture.
- Ancient and advanced approaches for the treatment of an inflammatory autoimmune disease-psoriasis.
- Acupuncture, connective tissue, and peripheral sensory modulation.
- [Development of studies on influence of patients' expectations on therapeutic effects of acupuncture and moxibustion interventions].
- [A feasibility analysis on individualized acupuncture treatment of irritable bowel syndrome under help of genetic polymorphism technique].
- [A meta-analysis on acupuncture treatment of polycystic ovary syndrome].
- [Effect of warm acupuncture stimulation of Waiguan (TE 5) on post-stroke shoulder-hand syndrome].
Herbal Medicine Research and News Feeds
- "TCM" or "Western" AND "Herbal"; +18 new citations
- Effects of Xin-Ji-Er-Kang formula on 2K1C-induced hypertension and cardiovascular remodeling in rats.
- Clinical effectiveness and safety of montelukast in asthma. What are the conclusions from clinical trials and meta-analyses?
- The review of innovative integration of Kampo medicine and Western medicine as personalized medicine at the first multidisciplinary pain center in Japan.
- Huogu I formula prevents steroid-induced osteonecrosis in rats by down-regulating PPARgamma expression and activating wnt/LRP5/ beta-catenin signaling.
- Aqueous extract of Taxus chinensis (Pilger) Rehd inhibits lung carcinoma A549 cells through the epidermal growth factor receptor/mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway in vitro and in vivo.