Latest Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) Research and Studies
Recent CAM Research Notes by our Practitioner Members
CAM Research Notes are submitted by our practitioner members and are open to comments by colleagues and the general public. Providing these notes helps our members to share news and research of interest with our community. As these are provided by professional practitioners they often include explanations and proper context to aid the general reader in better understanding the significance of the research.
If you are a practitioner and would like to submit research notes, please join us as a practitioner member.
There are a host of studies showing the usages of acupuncture for anesthesia during common medical procedures and events. These range from colonoscopies to labor to dental work, to appendectomy and more. Studies such as the one following are important as the reduction of stronger anesthesia agents is crucial for many types of cases, not to mention arguments revolving around costs of various procedures.
Acupuncture and the entire range of Chinese Medicine tools (cupping, herbal medicine, tuina, etc.) are used for a wide variety of acute and chronic pain issues. Low back pain, which this study looked at more closely, is a global problem that affects around 80% of the population at one point or another in their lifetime. There are a host of studies and clinical evidence that shows acupuncture being extremely useful for low back pain and related conditions.
Sjogren's syndrome is a chronic autoimmune based condition where the body attacks its own moisture producing glands. About 4 million people in the US are diagnosed with sjogren's and 90% of those are women. It can lead to chronic debilitating problems.
Within Chinese Medicine both acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine have been used to treat a range of autoimmune conditions including things like MS, Chron's, Rheumatoid Arthritis as well as Sjogren's.
There are a host of herbal formulas that show anti tumor properties for various cancers in clinical studies. Chinese researchers publishing in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology recently conducted a study looking at the effect of Shu Gan Liang Xue Formula on breast cancer tumors - particularly estrogen receptor positive breast cancer line ZR-75-1. Researchers investigated these anti-tumor functions in vitro and in vivo.
Researchers publishing in the Acupuncture in Medicine journal recently conducted a study utilizing auricular acupuncture detox techniques to encourage better treatment retention rates.
Recent Complementary and Alternative Medicine Research Synopses
Our monthly research synopses are part of our effort to share current complementary and alternative medicine research with practitioners and the general public. For the most part we try to choose studies which have direct clinical implications for practitioners and are relevant to the publics understanding of our medicine.
The research studies highlighted are drawn from a number of sources and are only a snapshot of what is available in medical journals worldwide. Our research synopses are included in our practitioner email newsletter which has open subscriptions (archives are also available).
Our most recent research synopses are below:
Acupuncture Research and News Feeds
- Treatment of Cardiovascular Disease by Traditional Chinese Medicine against Pregnane X Receptor.
- The Inhibition of Folylpolyglutamate Synthetase (folC) in the Prevention of Drug Resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis by Traditional Chinese Medicine.
- Developing Hypothetical Inhibition Mechanism of Novel Urea Transporter B Inhibitor.
- Acupuncture for post anaesthetic recovery and postoperative pain: study protocol for a randomised controlled trial.
- [Gold rush in the knee].
- [Conservative therapy of cervical pain syndrome].
- acupuncture; +17 new citations
- Relaxation for perimenopausal and postmenopausal symptoms.
- A pilot controlled trial of a combination of dense cranial electroacupuncture stimulation and body acupuncture for post-stroke depression.
- Magnolol protects neurons against ischemia injury via the downregulation of p38/MAPK, CHOP and nitrotyrosine.
- The effectiveness and safety of acupuncture for poor semen quality in infertile males: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Clinical effectiveness of laser acupuncture in the treatment of temporomandibular joint disorder.
Herbal Medicine Research and News Feeds
- Fumanjian, a Classic Chinese Herbal Formula, Can Ameliorate the Impairment of Spatial Learning and Memory through Apoptotic Signaling Pathway in the Hippocampus of Rats with Aβ 1-40 -Induced Alzheimer's Disease.
- Phenology of plants in relation to ambient environment in a subalpine forest of Uttarakhand, western Himalaya.
- The use of Chinese herbal products and its influence on tamoxifen induced endometrial Cancer risk among female breast Cancer patients: A population-based study.
- Adverse events associated with metal contamination of traditional chinese medicines in Korea: a clinical review.
- Neuroprotective effect of Chunghyuldan (Qing Xue Dan) on hypoxia-reoxygenation induced damage of neuroblastoma 2a cell lines.
- Modified Xiaochaihu Decoction () prevents the progression of chronic pancreatitis in rats possibly by inhibiting transforming growth factor-β1/Sma- and mad-related proteins signaling pathway.
- Qufeng Tongluo Prescription () inhibits mesangial cell proliferation and promotes apoptosis through regulating cell cycle progression.
- The effect of Chaiqin Chengqi Decoction () on modulating serum matrix metalloproteinase 9 in patients with severe acute pancreatitis.
- Regulation of traditional herbal medicinal products in Japan.
- Possible mechanism underlying the effect of Heshouwuyin, a tonifying kidney herb, on sperm quality in aging rats.
- Toxicity of daphnane-type diterpenoids from Genkwa Flos and their pharmacokinetic profile in rat.
- Effect of Nourishing "Yin"-Removing "Fire" Chinese Herbal Mixture on Hypothalamic NKB/NK3R Expression in Female Precocious Rats.