Latest Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) Research and Studies
Recent CAM Research Notes by our Practitioner Members
CAM Research Notes are submitted by our practitioner members and are open to comments by colleagues and the general public. Providing these notes helps our members to share news and research of interest with our community. As these are provided by professional practitioners they often include explanations and proper context to aid the general reader in better understanding the significance of the research.
If you are a practitioner and would like to submit research notes, please join us as a practitioner member.
Acupuncture is commonly used for a range of hormonal issues and related fertility problems. Premature ovarian failure is a failure of the ovaries to produce normal amounts of estrogen or release eggs regularly and fertility issues are a common result. In a recent study, researchers from Tianjin University and the Chinese Medical Sciences in Beijing conducted a pilot study to investigate the effects of acupuncture on premature ovarian failure.
Gastric (Stomach) cancer is a particularly deadly form of cancer that has a very poor prognosis in most cases. Worldwide over 700,000 people will die from stomach cancer and less than 10% of the people diagnosed with stomach cancer will survive. Because of these statistics, researchers are continually looking for anything that can provide a better outcome.
Study Finds Acupuncture with Bloodletting Superior To Claritin (Loratadine) For Hives (Chronic Urticaria)~Contributing Member: Chad Dupuis
A team of researchers from China publishing in the Chinese Acupuncture & Moxibustion journal recently conducted a study exploring treatment for chronic urticaria (or what is more commonly known as hives).
Dysmenorrhea (menstrual pain/cramps) is a commonly treated medical condition within Chinese Medicine. In many cases proper treatment with both acupuncture and/or Chinese Herbal Medicine one can effectively balance the menstrual system as a whole and completely alleviate dysmenorrhea symptoms.
There are a host of Chinese Herbal Medicines that are used for male and female fertility issues. A number of these work very well with a range of male fertility issues such as low sperm counts, motility and/or morphology issues as well as libido and other related issues.
Recent Complementary and Alternative Medicine Research Synopses
Our monthly research synopses are part of our effort to share current complementary and alternative medicine research with practitioners and the general public. For the most part we try to choose studies which have direct clinical implications for practitioners and are relevant to the publics understanding of our medicine.
The research studies highlighted are drawn from a number of sources and are only a snapshot of what is available in medical journals worldwide. Our research synopses are included in our practitioner email newsletter which has open subscriptions (archives are also available).
Our most recent research synopses are below:
Acupuncture Research and News Feeds
- A single case study: treating migraine headache with acupuncture, chinese herbs, and diet.
- Bee venom acupuncture, NSAIDs or combined treatment for chronic neck pain: study protocol for a randomized, assessor-blind trial.
- A case study of pigmentation and textural changes associated with needling yin tang.
- Possible role of epidermal keratinocytes in the construction of acupuncture meridians.
- Direct moxibustion to treat spleen qi and yang deficiency fatigue: a pilot study.
- Acupuncture in preventing postoperative nausea and vomiting: efficacy of two acupuncture points versus a single one.
- Acupuncture in the management of acute dental pain.
- Randomized trial of trigger point acupuncture treatment for chronic shoulder pain: a preliminary study.
- Effectiveness of cupping therapy for low back pain: a systematic review.
- Low Level Laser Therapy for the Treatment of Diabetic Foot Ulcers: A Critical Survey.
- The neuropsychiatry of tinnitus: a circuit-based approach to the causes and treatments available.
- Acupuncture at local and distal points for chronic shoulder pain: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial.
Herbal Medicine Research and News Feeds
- The anti-lung cancer activities of steroidal saponins of P. polyphylla Smith var. chinensis (Franch.) Hara through enhanced immunostimulation in experimental Lewis tumor-bearing C57BL/6 mice and induction of apoptosis in the A549 cell line.
- Sinomenine decreases MyD88 expression and improves inflammation-induced joint damage progression and symptoms in rat adjuvant-induced arthritis.
- Assessment of Cuscuta chinensis seeds' effect on melanogenesis: Comparison of water and ethanol fractions in vitro and in vivo.
- Paeoniflorin, the main active constituent of Paeonia lactiflora roots, attenuates bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosis in mice by suppressing the synthesis of type I collagen.
- Amelioration of Danhong injection on the lipopolysaccharide-stimulated systemic acute inflammatory reaction via multi-target strategy.
- Chinese herbal medicine-derived compounds for cancer therapy: a focus on hepatocellular carcinoma.
- Illicium verum extract suppresses IFN-γ-induced ICAM-1 expression via blockade of JAK/STAT pathway in HaCaT human keratinocytes.
- Neuroprotective polyhydroxypregnane glycosides from Cynanchum otophyllum.
- Medicinal Plants of the Russian Pharmacopoeia, history and applications.
- [Analysis of 'treating different diseases by the same method' from aspect of theoretical research and clinical application of 'replenishing Qi and strengthening Shen'].
- [The preliminary research on the gap junction mechanisms for synergistic effects of liuwei di-huang pill containing serum on suicide gene therapy of melanoma].
- [Effect of danzhi jiangtang capsule combined exercise on the protein expression of NADPH oxidase p22phox in pancreatic tissues of diabetic rats].