Astragalus high dose longterm use

forum post

Astragalus high dose longterm use

Published on 12-25-2018

"anon159307" - this is their first post.

I have been taking organic Astragalus root powder and extract at a dosage of 30gr per day for longevity purposes. Does anyone know if taking rather high dose of Astragalus continuously and for long term is safe?

This post has the following associations:

Herbs: huang qi

Comments / Discussions:

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
on Dec 2018

I think besides safety you really need to answer what it is you are trying to accomplish and whether or not that is really helping you. In my opinion, no one should be on any herbs regardless of safety issues over long periods of time without very good reasons and longevity is not one of them in my opinion.

I would focus far more on what -not- to do, rather than doing something in the vain attempt to overcome issues from other diet and lifestyle factors. So start with avoiding all the bad things, eating poorly, smoking, drinking, no exercise, high stress, etc., etc. Basically work on your diet, incorporate exercise, drink enough water, work towards emotional balance, etc. While I don’t agree with everything in the text, a decent place to start is the following two texts:

The above is general and the following is a more lengthy Chinese Medicine approach:

As far as safety, again, I strongly advise to only take things when they are necessary. Huang qi is generally considered safe, but at your dosage consistently there has been a few studies showing that those levels and above potentially weaken or at least disrupt the functioning of the immune system opening to illness and/or possibly autoimmune conditions. Again it all about proper balance and reasoning, nothing is infinitely good and nothing is inherently bad.

top Login/Comment

comment by "anon159307"
on Jan 2019

Good advice. Thanks very much for your reply and the sources you sent me

top Login/Comment

All Content 1999-2024
Chad J. Dupuis / Yin Yang House
Our Policies and Privacy Guidelines
Our Affiliated Clinics