Sauna in TCM

forum post

Sauna in TCM

Published on 04-01-2014

"archived-user" has authored 334 other posts.

how is the sauna viewed in TCM?

Is the sauna indicated for damp-heat,damp-cold,yin deficiency?

I've heard that there are some types of qiGong that are practiced in sauna.

Below are the most recent, view all here.

• What is a cun? - 12-31-2021
  • Acupuncture Education for DO's and MD's - 12-31-2021
  • Ion Cords - 12-31-2021
  • Comments / Discussions:

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
    on Apr 2014

I&#39m not sure the sauna fits into Chinese Medicine anywhere as far as being truly therapeutic. That said, as with any factor the yin yang balance needs to be respected. It would be avoided by anyone with a heat and/or damp condition. Who it would be good for is hard to say - it would be so relative to the individual, their climate, the season, their diagnosis at the time, etc.

top Login/Comment

comment by "John_Scalice"
    on May 2014

Another point is that the sauna would open the pores as it induced sweat. Would that leave you more open to pernicious external influences when you exited? It would seem that you should then do the immersion in cold water to close the pores.

top Login/Comment

comment by "anon87428"
    on Sep 2018

Interesting, I’ve never heard of qigong practice in a sauna. It doesn’t sound like anything a common Chinese would do, but what do I know. Have you learned more about the subject in the meantime?

top Login/Comment

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
    on Sep 2018

While not related to Chinese Medicine in any way, there is a pretty good exploration of the general health benefits of sauna in the text . It’s an interesting read on a whole, but there are some interesting points about the sauna (as well as a section of cold water swimming) - both very popular things within Finnish society.

top Login/Comment

All Content 1999-2024
    Chad J. Dupuis / Yin Yang House
    Our Policies and Privacy Guidelines
    Our Affiliated Clinics