Herbs That Dispel Wind Dampness - Herbal Functional Grouping (16 herbs)
Herbs That Dispel Wind Dampness General Introduction
- For wind-dampness from the muscle, sinews, joints, and bones; bi-syndromes.
- Wind-Predominant bi (xing bi) - pain moves from joint to joint.
- Cold-Predominant bi (tong bi) - severe, fixed pain that is made worse by cold.
- Damp-Predominant bi (zhuo bi) - fixed pain with swelling and numbness.
- Hot-Painful bi (re bi) - heat signs; acute, painful, swelling present.
Herbs That Dispel Wind Dampness Section Summary / Study Notes
- Wind-cold-damp: Du Huo, Wei Ling Xian, Qian Nian Jian, Wu Jia Pi, Mu Gua.
- Wind-heat-damp: Xi Xian Cao, Luo Shi Teng, Si Gua Luo.
- Pain in the upper body: Qiang Huo and Sang Zhi.
- Pain in the lower body: Du Huo, Mu Gua, Can Sha.
- Pain upper and/or lower: Luo Shi Teng, Hai Feng Teng, Wei Ling Xian.
- Sang Zhi, Si Gua Luo, Luo Shi Teng - mild, also release the exterior, clear heat - children and adolescents (strong constitution).
- Qian Nian Jian, Wu Jia Pi, Xi Xian Cao, Du Huo - for elderly or those with weak constitutions; have tonifying properties. Combine with herbs that tonify the liver and kidneys.
- Wei Ling Xian, Qin Jiao - pain secondary to wind damp, for lower extremities.
- Hai Feng Teng, Luo Shi Teng - wind damp affecting the sinews and joints with pain, reduces range of motion (ROM), spasms.