Xiao Yao Wan (Free & Easy Wanderer)

forum post

Xiao Yao Wan (Free & Easy Wanderer)

Published on 03-07-2013

"jj2013" has authored 1 other post.

I just recently bought Xiao Yao Wan (Free & Easy Wanderer) but there isn't much information on the dosage and warnings/precautions. Could someone please help answer these questions for me?

-Is it safe to take on an empty stomach? Or is it better on full stomach?

-I am an adult but I weigh only about 80 lbs, should I lower dosage? It says to take 8 tea pills 3 times a day.

-I read somewhere to stop taking it when I menstruate and when I have flu/cold, is that true?

-Is it safe to take daily or should we take breaks?

Thank you in advance!

Below are the most recent, view all here.

Comments / Discussions:

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
on Mar 2013

You will have to consult with a practitioner locally who is familiar with your case to get appropriate dosage information. Chinese Medicine is -not- Western Medicine in any way shape or form so linear models of conditions=dosage or weight=dosage do not apply as well. A 300lb patient might need 5 tablets once a day with some other formulas and a child might need 30/day depending on their condition. There are very few generalizations in Chinese Medicine that are useful.

The only definitive thing I can say is, yes, you should not take any formulas besides cold/flu formulas (largely) when you are sick and most formulas that move the blood or resolve stagnation, like xiao yao wan, should be avoided during menstruation to avoid increases in the menstrual flow (in most cases, some it would be preferred even or possibly even only used then however).

Most of the basic formulas like xiao yao wan can be taken on an empty stomach or with food as they are fairly balanced formulas. If people experience mild nausea with the formula on an empty stomach then some food with it is helpful - or the formula is wrong for them. Again, these are things that a practitioner can help with.

Most herbal formulas are meant to actually resolve the underlying causes/symptoms so while -some- formulas are safe for very long term use 1-2 years or more, some are really intended to only be used for a few weeks to a few months and then changed to something that is more appropriate to the current issues. Chinese Herbal Medicine is far more of a moving target than the western medicine=symptoms=management model.

top Login/Comment

comment by "jj2013"
on Mar 2013

Hi Chad,

Thank you very much for your reply! I do not know of any local practitioner. Maybe they are around me but I just don&#39t notice. I will have to look into it.

top Login/Comment

comment by "anon237023"
on Mar 2013

Without seeing a practitioner I wonder how you know that this is the right formula for you? Have you been prescribed it before? It is always a good idea to try and see someone because Xiao Yao Wan may be the right right thing for a friend with a similar complaint, or sound right but it may not be the best for you. Have you tried the practitioner finder on this website? Where are you located? It is a great formula and very useful in lots of circumstances but certainly here in the UK you shouldn&#39t be able to bbut it without a qulified practitioners saying it is a good thing for you...

top Login/Comment

comment by "jj2013"
on Mar 2013

Hi Rebecca,

I&#39m from USA (eastcoast). I do not have health insurance for birth control so I was searching for alternatives for my PMS, ovarian cyst, stress, anxiety, low appetite, etc. I read reviews of Xiao Yao Wan from women with my similar issues so I decided to try it out for myself.

top Login/Comment

All Content 1999-2024
Chad J. Dupuis / Yin Yang House
Our Policies and Privacy Guidelines
Our Affiliated Clinics