Complex Regional Pain Syndrome / CRPS

forum post

Complex Regional Pain Syndrome / CRPS

Published on 10-10-2016

"rte" has authored 2 other posts.

The call mentioned in this loop is no longer connected to the link. I have a teenage girl with complex regional pain syndrome in her shoulder which kept going out and recently needed surgery to be tightened up. She is five weeks out of surgery and still in a lot of pain. I will go and examine her today to treat her that would appreciate anyprocals, experience &/or tips that might help. No she is taking Neurontin in high doses which seems to be helping some. She is in physical therapy as well as occupational therapy. I suggested perhaps Kinesiology tape might help keep things more stable, however it was tried and the tape irritated her skin. So she is having a lot of nerve pain I am a little hesitant to try things like Electro-stim or have her do tens ( least until I get a sense of how she reacts to treatments). Anyone having experience with knowing whether these are good adjunct therapies, this would be great information. Thanks to all who respond

This post has the following associations:

Acupoints: st 38

Below are the most recent, view all here.

• Scenario therapy - 12-31-2021
  • Orthostatic hypotension - 12-31-2021
  • Comments / Discussions:

comment by "rte"
    on Oct 2016

Oops, sorry about the typos

top Login/Comment

comment by "StephenS" (acupuncturist)
    on Oct 2016

Use some local Ashi points with ST 38, cupping (should be safe five weeks out, don’t use cupping right after surgery) and have her apply some heat. A microwavable rice bag type of heat would be preferable to an electric blanket.

top Login/Comment

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
    on Oct 2016

I fixed the link in the previous post - the page you were wanting to view is here.

Generally when people are already inflamed, the less interventions the better. In my opinion, now that she is out a few weeks from surgery and the PT people have done their job with scar tissue it’s time that she sees you and only you. Don’t treat her more than once a week (no tens, no electro) and just let all the tissue settle down and she should do much better. Just acupuncture and some mild tuina around the areas, possibly cupping around the area (not on).

top Login/Comment

comment by "anon134216"
    on Mar 2017

Absolutely no disrespect is meant to those that have responded, but clearly, none of you have any experience whatsoever with RSD/CRPS.

I was my husband's primary caregiver for close to 20 years with this horrific disease. I am well versed in this disease.

First and foremost, please do not ice any part of the body, it will feel like you set fire to wherever you put that ice.

Please, I beg of you, go to YouTube and the MayoClinic and Johns Hopkins University, all online, and research CALMARE treatment. This treatment worked on my husband and for the first time in 20 years he is off of all pain medications.

I don't know what part of the country you are in, but if you are in California, the doctor that treated my husband is Dr. Susan Gutierrez, no relation, and she can be reached at
    925 806 0757.

top Login/Comment

All Content 1999-2024
    Chad J. Dupuis / Yin Yang House
    Our Policies and Privacy Guidelines
    Our Affiliated Clinics