Herbs That Open Orifices - Herbal Functional Grouping (6 herbs)
Herbs That Open Orifices General Introduction
- Opens up sensory orifices and awakens the spirit - delirium, coma, locked jaw, clenched fists, rigid limbs, seizures.
- There herbs are scattering by nature and can drain yuan qi; treats symptoms, not the root.
Herbs That Open Orifices Section Summary / Study Notes
- She Xiang, Su He Xiang, Bing Pian - open orifices, treat loss of consciousness.
- She Xiang - most intensely aromatic and penetrating in materia medica, trauma, sores.
- Bing Pian - similar but much weaker.
- Su He Xiang - wind-stroke with collapse due to phlegm.
- Niu Huang - not as potent as She Xiang in opening orifices, but effective in clearing heat and relieving toxicity, often used together with She Xiang to treat coma due to heat disorder.
- Shi Cang Pu - opens orifices is secondary to its general aromatic action in vaporizing phlegm.