Sensations

forum post

Sensations

Published on 05-20-2006

"archived-user" has authored 334 other posts.

I was going to an Acupuncturist for Infertility treatment. I went once a week and it became a little difficult after awhile because he was not very local. I stopped and searched for someone that I felt comfortable with, and pretty much gave up. I am getting ready to transfer a few frozen embroys and decided to find someone locally for treatment. I found someone who I feel comfortable with, I'm going for treatment 3 times a week (2 times more than the other person) and the sensation is much different. I noticed that with my last Acupuncturist, when he would put needles in my stomach, I felt little butterfly sensations, now with this Dr. sometimes the needles send a sensation or pain to different areas of my body. Is this normal?? He said that is good because it's energy flowing to different areas. I don't remember this at all and I don't want to be lead to believe that it's good if it's not.

Secondly, I am not trying to develope embroys, I have them, just trying to get my body in balance. Does this take 3 months at 3 times a week?

I have had two miscarriages, not chrom issues, they say that my blood is clotting which is killing my babies. I will have to go on heprin with the next transfer.

Thank you for your help!

T

Below are the most recent, view all here.

• What is a cun? - 12-31-2021
  • Acupuncture Education for DO's and MD's - 12-31-2021
  • Ion Cords - 12-31-2021
  • Comments / Discussions:

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
    on May 2006

Acupuncture is very much more an art form than it is a science in the sense that it can (and often does) make a difference who is applying the acupuncture vs. what points are used. This isn't to say that results can not be clinically reproduced, just to say that there is more going on than just the point selection. That said, each acupuncturist has a particular style they use and a certain treatment program they like to follow. I, for example, rarely see anyone more than once a week except in very acute cases. However, many acupuncturists do see people 2 or 3 times a week, even daily, until the condition changes or resolves. It is difficult to comment on this, however, as treatment frequency is decided upon by a host of factors related to a partient and your own personal understandings and theories as a practitioner. In other words, there is no right or wrong. What does matter, however, is the results. In fact, this is the only thing that matters. If you don't have results from your acupuncturist and you are unsure about obtaining them in the future you should discuss this with your practitioner and possibly consider switching. Different practitioners, styles of acupuncture, techniques, etc. can all play a role in the clinical success of your treatments.

With regards to your question about energy sensations, this is another area where people have many opinions. I tend to not concern myself or my patients with what they feel - a sensation is a sensation, different for everyone. As far as feeling referred sensations (in different parts of the body from where the needle is inserted), this is common. Whether or not it is a "good" thing, is not as important from my point of view and I don't spend much time talking with my patients about that. The most important thing, from my point of view, is that people should always feel comfortable.

Some practitioners and different needling techniques will create different sensations in the body. We know from comparing the results from "softer" techniques such as Japanese acupuncture to TCM style acupuncture that there is no relationship between sensation and treatment efficacy. This doesn't mean, however, that a practitioner trained in a TCM style will not try to create a certain sensation with a particular needle to ensure from their perspective, training and theory that it is the right point and it is creating an appropriate effect.

With regards to your treatment duration question, again this is difficult to answer as the answer depends on the style of medicine used and the practitioners training and theory. For women's health issues such as fertility, menstrual irregularities, etc. I generally say 3 months (or 3 cycles) is the expected duration of treatment by the end of which you should have considerable results - you may still need to continue treatments, however. In my clinic this would be weekly treatments and not 3 times a week for 3 months - however, that is just the way I have been trained combined with my view of what the body needs to regulate and heal.

I hope you find my opinions valuable. I wish my statements could be more definitive but it is difficult to judge other practitioners styles and techniques. Oriental medicine is a broad field with many theories, styles and personalities. I simply recommend to look for the results and honor your questioning mind.

Yin Yang House Acupuncture & Energy Healing Clinic

top Login/Comment

comment by "archived-user"
    on May 2006

Thank you!!

top Login/Comment

All Content 1999-2024
    Chad J. Dupuis / Yin Yang House
    Our Policies and Privacy Guidelines
    Our Affiliated Clinics