Sì Shéng Cōng

forum post

Sì Shéng Cōng

Published on 11-02-2013

"Catfishy1" has authored 1 other post.

Hello Everyone,

I am a student and I am learning the extra points. I am noticing that all the points have names and using the name helps me. Then I get to Sì Shéng Cōng. One name for four points? That does not sound right to me. I start researching and I also find that the Anteriror point is used as a starting point for MS-6 of the International Scalp Acupuncture system.

I was hoping to find out if anyone can tell me (or point me to a resource) the names of the four points that make up Sì Shéng Cōng. I haven't found them in any of my texts. I've looked in Mr. HB Kim's Handbook, The CAM, and Maciocia's book. Don't even get me started on the crap that comes up in a web search...

If you take the time to reply I would like to thank you in advance. If you just read this and that was all the you have already done more than most and I thank you as well.

-Matthew (AKA Catfishy)

This post has the following associations:

Acupoints: ex sishencong

Below are the most recent, view all here.

Comments / Discussions:

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
on Nov 2013

From my understanding and from possible translations of the name it truly does refer to a collection of points. On our site we have sischencong as "God&#39s Cleverness", but other translations have it as "Four Alert Spirit" or "Four Mind Hearing" - sì - being "four".

top Login/Comment

comment by "Catfishy1"
on Nov 2013

Good Morning Chad,

I wasted a whole bunch of time trying to research this one. I did not find the names anywhere other than the Anterior Point. I found it in an old beat up photocopy in our library. There is no mention of its source so I cannot totally say this the name. However, I found the Anterior Point being referenced as Qián Shén Cōng. I copied the image and have posted it on my vastly underutilized personal webpage.

here is a link if you care to see what I found and maybe you might recognize the style and know which text it came from.

I think this is more curiosity for me than anything else.

Here is a direct link to where I published the scanned image. I am curious to know what you think.

top Login/Comment

comment by "anon137436"
on Nov 2013

The way we learned was to just make a design of either an x or a cross. It&#39s just an area and the points draw the qi in to that area rather than activating specific points. It reminds me of doing &#39four flowers&#39 around ren 12 for improved digestion. Just keep the points at a certain distance (about a can apart). Unfortunately, I don&#39t think there are names for each point, it is more like a technique of grouping needles that enhance one point, in this case for excellent relaxation. :)

top Login/Comment

comment by "Harry"
on Nov 2013

As I understand it the Si is Chinese for four. The Shen part is obvious and I would guess that the Cong part relates to the way in which the points surround DU20. BTW to easily locate DU20 fold over an ear and follow the way the top part points to the top, central part of the head. I have used these points to boost my needling of DU20 either by tonifying or reducing.

top Login/Comment

comment by "Catfishy1"
on Nov 2013

I am still on the hunt but this is what I found.

top Login/Comment

comment by "Catfishy1"
on Nov 2013

Sì Shéng Cōng is Four Alert Spirit, I got that. What I am trying to find out is the "Names" of the individual points. The Anterior point is Qián Shén Cōng. I am also a student of Dao and to thing that the Elders only named one of the four points seems unlikely to me. We are microcosms of macrocosms. As humans we name places. For me this gives personality to the individual points and gives them an identity rather than just a label. This venture is not so much school related but rather curiosity at this point. The subject came up in my Scalp Acupuncture Techniques class. The Line MS-6 is found by forming a line from Qián Shén Cōng to GB-6. After learning this my inner-monkey started to drive...

top Login/Comment

comment by "Moniquewilmsen"
on Feb 2014

Hi,

I am using "a manual of acupunctuur" by Peter Deadman.

"These four points were first discussed in the Sagelike Prescriptions from the Taiping Era (10th century CE)" he says.

Furthermore, he says: "The name is: Four Alert Spirit. Si = Four. These points are able to pacify interior wind which rises to harass the head and brain (windstroke, epilepsy, dizzinness etc) and to calm the spirit (mania-depression, insomnia etc)".

The points should all be found 1 cun from Baihui DU-20. That means 1 cun to the left, 1 cun to the right, 1 cun in front and 1 cun to the back. DU-20 is the center where the energy collects. But basically, DU-20 is not a point of these SiShenCong.

In my clinic I use these four points for children diagnosed with ADHD and I think they are very useful.

top Login/Comment

All Content 1999-2024
Chad J. Dupuis / Yin Yang House
Our Policies and Privacy Guidelines
Our Affiliated Clinics