Slipped Disc Pain

forum post

Slipped Disc Pain

Published on 09-18-2016

"anon128760" - this is their first post.

what is the best cure for slipped disc ?

This post has the following associations:

Issues/Symptoms: back pain

Comments / Discussions:

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
on Sep 2016

I’m not comfortable with the words “best” or “cure” - but generally speaking acupuncture does extremely well with a broad range of disc issues. It is often one of the easier things to treat as far as what the average Chinese Medicine practitioner will see on a given day.

Generally within the confines of Chinese Medicine, the “best” will be acupuncture combined with cupping and tuina.

Some possibly relevant studies and theoretical information:

top Login/Comment

comment by "anon199374"
on Sep 2016

Hi Chad, I needle the relevant jia ji points deeply down to the bone (the articular surfaces), and then use a second needle at the next superior bladder point. So, if you are using the Jia Ji point at L5 S1 then the second point will be UB 25.

Then connect the electro between the jia ji and UB 25, and generate a dispersing pulse (approx 40-60 Hrtz frequency). The patient should feel a painless buzzing sensation. Adjust the intensity as it will fade, every 5-10 minutes. Always use the patient as the guide, this treatment should never be painful!

Retain needles for 30- 40 minutes. I repeat this treatment twice a week for approx 3 weeks, then push it out to weekly, then 5-6 weekly. I have had excellent results using this technique.

It is important to know dermatome distribution patterns so you can isolate the correct spinal segment to be treated. In my experience this is usually L5/S1 or L4/L5 or both.

Hope this helps.
Nathan Burns BHSc

top Login/Comment

comment by "anon113383"
on Sep 2016

Have you not considered chiropractic first? Manipulation techniques (just like chiropractic has with Gonstad, Thompson, Palmer, etc.) are an inclusive component of TCM and are taught in schools all across China alongside Tui Na and Wai Gong tracks–within the context of TCM framework. A quick YouTube search can give you an idea of what to expect. So ideally, any practitioner of TCM that stays true to its roots would automatically think to give manipulation of the lower-dimensional body a try first before working directly on the energy channels.

I’m a purist, I know

top Login/Comment

comment by "anon113383"
on Sep 2016

Have any of your patients received an X-ray after successful treatment to document if the disc has actually changed location? That would be fascinating to see.

top Login/Comment

comment by "anon199374"
on Sep 2016

In my experience chiro manipulation can be detrimental to disc herniation.
Or if it does work it gives only temporary relief.
Cheers

top Login/Comment

comment by "anon199374"
on Sep 2016

The movement of the disc is usually only a matter of millimeters, which
would be hard to pick up on an xray.
This is usually enough to improve the condition.

top Login/Comment

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
on Sep 2016

I strongly second that. We are always trying to fix people up after adjustments have either not helped them at all or in too many cases made them worse. Proper tuina has theoretical aspects to some parts of chiro theory with much better techniques in my opinion. What you are needing generally is vertical space which largely comes from loosening the tissue and muscle in broader areas than the are of pain (in basic terms). It’s also important to note that the body doesn’t feel pain - the mind does. Working broadly as is the case with properly applied Chinese Medicine deals with these issues from all aspects leading to better long term results with less intervention.

top Login/Comment

comment by "anon113383"
on Sep 2016

There must not be many good chiros in your area.

top Login/Comment

comment by "anon113383"
on Sep 2016

Here is an example of a good chiro (with a reputation to prove it). Just like TCM, Functional Medicine, or any other practice of medicine, there are good and bad practitioners.

top Login/Comment

All Content 1999-2024
Chad J. Dupuis / Yin Yang House
Our Policies and Privacy Guidelines
Our Affiliated Clinics