What Pathogen or Pattern Causes for Thymoma and Thymic Carcinoma

forum post

What Pathogen or Pattern Causes for Thymoma and Thymic Carcinoma

Published on 04-11-2022

"Chris S" is an acupuncture student who lives in Australia and has authored 2 other posts.

Has anyone had any experience with Thymoma as a disorder to treat? Be interested in hearing if you have and how you treated it?

This post has the following associations:

Issues/Symptoms: cancer

Acupoints: gv 22, kd 3, pc 7, si 16, st 9, st 10

Below are the most recent, view all here.

Comments / Discussions:

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
on Apr 2022

So generally with questions of this nature, and certainly with any complicated condition(s), you have to really treat what you see.  So you start by throwing out completely any western ideas of what is happening, you look at the person in purely Chinese Medicine diagnostic terms, you come to a conclusion, then you take whatever understanding you have of the western disease processes and try to forge a treatment path.

Now with cancer and some other conditions the underlying etiologies/processes are not well known in real terms.  For example, smoking is linked to lung cancer and we sort of know the how/why of that, but not completely - otherwise we'd likely have more effective treatments on the western side.  

With cancer you are often deciding what is your role in the process - supportive to western medicine approaches, in exclusion of them, etc. - and this, too, will change your overall approach - but even then, my first statement holds true -- that is, you step back and treat what is presenting in the person not a standardized protocol.

So even in the case of pure western terms thymoma/thymic carcinoma can arise from "nowhere" or may be linked with autoimmune conditions such as myasthenia gravis.  So then what?  Even in western terms it's unclear how to approach this - try to shutdown the immune portion, deal with the cancer first, then the autoimmune, try both....  you see where I'm going.

With a "simple" case of thymoma surgery might be entirely warranted (and can be extremely effective) and then what do you as an acupuncturist do?  Maybe nothing, some things just happen in a body for no real reason that we can understand.  So if you were to treat you are then perhaps supporting for that process and associated anxiety - but even then you are basing that approach starting with what they present with (ie yin deficient, blood deficient, stagnate, whatever).

In the system that I most utilize (in addition to consideration and treatment of their base pattern in Chinese Medicine diagnostic terms) I would likely focus on all or most of the following areas (with tuina and/or acupuncture as appropriate).  The huatuo points of C6 ,C7 ,T1 ,T2 ,T3 , SI 16, GV 22, ST 9, ST 10, KD 3, PC 7.

top Login/Comment

comment by "Chris S" (student)
on Apr 2022

That is such a great answer. Thank you very much, it makes exact sense.

top Login/Comment

All Content 1999-2024
Chad J. Dupuis / Yin Yang House
Our Policies and Privacy Guidelines
Our Affiliated Clinics