Herbs That Relieve Coughing And Wheezing - Herbal Functional Grouping (11 herbs)
Herbs That Relieve Coughing And Wheezing General Introduction
- Generally useful for symptoms involving coughing and wheezing.
- Often combined with other herbs to treat the overall pattern (root).
Herbs That Relieve Coughing And Wheezing Section Summary / Study Notes
- Xing Ren and Kuan Dong Hua - best for cough due to wind.
- Bai Du and Zi Wan - chronic cough due to internal injury.
- Zi Wan and Su Zi - cold-induced cough.
- Su Zi - cough with a stifling sensation in the chest.
- Sang Bai Pi - heat-induced cough, cough with edema.
- Pi Pa Ye - dry cough.
- Xing Ren - cough with wheezing.
- Mu Hu Die - cough with hoarseness.
- Jie Geng and Xing Ren - very commonly used for cough.
- Jie Geng - opens and disseminates lung qi while transforming phlegm - leads actions of other herbs to the lungs and throat.
- Xing Ren - descending function, used more specifically for coughing and wheezing.
- Kuan Dong Hua and Zi Wan are often used together, each complementing.
- Kuan Dong Hua stops cough, cools and moistens, for dry cough.
- Zi Wan expels phlegm, acrid and dry, can be used for cold-induced cough.
- Ting Li Zi - stops cough with copious, thick sputum, reduces food/water accumulation.