Herbs That Relieve Food Stagnation - Herbal Functional Grouping (6 herbs)
Herbs That Relieve Food Stagnation General Introduction
- Food stagnation often arises from emotional disturbances which cause the qi and/or blood to stagnate, improper dietary habits, phlegm, heat, and/or cold disorders.
- Hot/Cold Types:
- Hot: Bad breath, distention, preference for cold food/drinks, forceful and slippery pulse.
- Cold: Nausea, spitting up of clear fluids, distention, preference for hot food, white, greasy tongue coat, weak and thin pulse.
Herbs That Relieve Food Stagnation Section Summary / Study Notes
- Mai Ya, Gu Ya - food stagnation.
- Mai Ya - facilitates digestion and has spleen-strengthening actions; cold food stagnation.
- Gu Ya - less digestive actions, does not injure stomach qi; for hot food stagnation with spleen deficiency.
- Shan Za - stagnation due to overindulgence in meat.
- Shen Qu - indulgence in alcohol and starchy food.