Seeking another opinion on new formulation

forum post

Seeking another opinion on new formulation

Published on 01-30-2022

"Mysti_Skye" is a generally interested contributor - this is their first post.

Hello, I'm just seeking reassurance on my new formulation. I was originally told I have spleen qi deficiency, blood deficiency and kidney yang deficiency. I was prescribed Gui Pi Tang. I recently started seeing another practitioner who moved to the area... much closer to me. I essentially received the same diagnosis except she said kidney yin and yang deficiency and liver qi stagnation. I was prescribed Xiao Yao Wan. One of my primary concerns was trouble sleeping due to waking every couple hours due to needing eye drops... have struggled with painful dry eyes for quite some time. So I was also prescribed Qi Ju Di Huang Wan. About two days after starting it my very occasional mild hot flashes turned severe and on a daily basis... much worse at night. Then started having diarrhea. I discontinued aforementioned formula and symptoms ceased. I'm now supposed to start Er Xian (two immortals). I'm concerned and just want another opinion. I read to use caution with spleen qi deficiency. Also still taking Xiao Yao Wan. My tongue diagnosis was pale, scalloped, thin coat, and wet. My pulse was deep but she didn't elaborate on it so that's all I know. I've been peri menopausal for a while if that makes any difference. Thank you in advance! 

This post has the following associations:

Patterns: kidney yang deficiency, kidney yin deficiency, liver qi stagnation, spleen qi deficiency

Formulas: er xian wan, jia wei gui pi wan, jia wei xiao yao wan, qi ju di huang wan, xiao yao wan

Comments / Discussions:

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
on Feb 2022

Herbs can be quite the moving target.  The best way to address this is to communicate directly with your practitioner and they can adjust the formulas as they see fit.  This is a normal part of the process.

I've had patients experience the same thing with liu wei di huang wan/qi ju di huang wan - even when by all reasonable accounts it seemed a perfect fit for them.  Sometimes its the dosage that needs to altered or the time of day or both.  They are probably on target trying er xian wan, but again, you might need to go slower dosage wise and/or change the time of day.

If your heat signs are mild, you might do better with jia wei xiao yao wan - rather than xiao yao wan or even jia wei gui pi wan which can be a lightly building while staying mild/neutral.

Again, though, work with your practitioner.  They will adjust things over time, possibly removing a formula temporarily and then using it again later (even if it wasn't helpful the first time).  This is all part of the infinite tailorability of Chinese Medicine.  Your practitioners seem to be on track, generally, they just need a little more time to adjust their approach.  Even doing poorly on a formula is often illuminating for what direction your body needs to go.

top Login/Comment

All Content 1999-2024
Chad J. Dupuis / Yin Yang House
Our Policies and Privacy Guidelines
Our Affiliated Clinics