Grains in diet during a humid season

forum post

Grains in diet during a humid season

Published on 08-14-2012

"I_Danne" has authored 17 other posts.

I would like to know which grains are okay to eat during summer while experiencing symptoms of damp heat and/or damp wind heat?

Is Amaranth okay? Corn/Polenta? Which type of couscous (wheat) is recommended - white or whole wheat or should wheat be entirely avoided? What would be the energetic difference between slow cooking these grains from sprouting and eating raw? I don't usually like to eat raw food often.

(Also, please include, which may be suitable for someone like myself who also tends towards Stomach and Small Intestine depletion/issues and blood stagnation year around)

Thank you.

This post has the following associations:

Herbs: yi yi ren

Below are the most recent, view all here.

Comments / Discussions:

comment by "Volesky"
on Aug 2012

For overall deficiency: rice, wheat, barley (pan-roast prior to cooking), spelt oats, and quinoa are best.

For a damp constitution or damp environment, damp drying grains include: amaranth, buckwheat, unrefined barley, corn, rye, wild rice, basmati rice (small quantities), and dry roasted oats

For heat: millet, wheat, amaranth, wild rice, blue corn, and whole barley

For wind: quinoa, cooked oats, wheat; avoid buckwheat

For a damp-heat constitution your best are probably amaranth, wild rice, and barley, but a variety should still be emphasized. Anytime there are signs of wind (spasms, cramps, numbness, paralysis, or wondering pain) avoid buckwheat. Personally, I don’t eat much wheat since it is found in so many things now. If you eat it, it should be in whole wheat berries. Some sources indicate that gluten sensitive individuals can tolerate whole wheat berries.

Quinoa and amaranth have some of the highest protein contents of the grains.

top Login/Comment

comment by "I_Danne"
on Aug 2012

Thank you for your response. I will avoid buckwheat.

Another question - I have barley, the regular barley and something called job&#39s tears from the Korean supermarket. Job&#39s tears is the one recommended for middle burner dampness?

top Login/Comment

comment by "Volesky"
on Aug 2012

Job&#39s tears is a chinese herb called Yi Yi Ren. It is a fantastic herb for dampness and strengthening digestion. It is also heat clearing and helps to dispel pus. It can be taken as food or decocted as an herbal tea.

I am not sure about the type of barley you have. Whole barley though is more nutritious than pearled barley.

top Login/Comment

All Content 1999-2024
Chad J. Dupuis / Yin Yang House
Our Policies and Privacy Guidelines
Our Affiliated Clinics