Phegm congestion and poor digestion in infant

forum post

Phegm congestion and poor digestion in infant

Published on 01-26-2012

"archived-user" has authored 334 other posts.

Submitted By: friendphil

Our ten-month old baby, who has Down's syndrome and congenitally weak digestion, has had chronic problems with phlegm congestion in her upper respiratory tract. This developed into pneumonia several weeks ago. The acute phase seems to be passed for the moment, but the following conditions still remain: considerable phlegm in the lungs and short, labored breathing, poor digestion and tendency for regurgitation, white tongue coating, particularly in the back anc central areas of her tongue, sometimes redish tip of tongue, tendency for constipation, although using a new milk formula seems to be addressing the constipation. Her abomen has, since birth, been rather large and distended.

She is still depending heavily on milk formula for nourishment, but does eat some other foods (non-solids). Sorry that mom can no longer give breast milk, and I suspect that milk formula may be too sweet and rich, and may be exacerbating internal dampness. I think her mom may also try to feed foods that are too rich, such as rice jook with boiled egg yolk, or chicken liver plus yellow squash and some veggies. Her mom likes to give her banana, avocado, or papaya in non-solid form sometimes, which I question. Also, Cerelac, someimes mixed with banana, which to me seems to sweet at this time.

I am looking especially for ideas on what to feed her that might help address these problems: perhaps some herbal food preparations, or herbal medications.

Thanks if anyone has experience and ideas as to how to help.

Below are the most recent, view all here.

• What is a cun? - 12-31-2021
  • Acupuncture Education for DO's and MD's - 12-31-2021
  • Ion Cords - 12-31-2021
  • Comments / Discussions:

comment by "archived-user"
    on Jan 2012

White coating on the back of tounge means kidney yang deficiency, and the kidney cold water energy go up to heart and lung, with spleen deficiency cause too much phlegm in the lung. First , keep room temperature warm, strong her kidney Yang energy and don&#39t let her catch cold. Second, banana, avacado... are the kinds of food build a lot of phlegm should be stoped. Third, the food or herb food are: hot sweet Xin Ren Tea, hot sweet pear juice, hot white radish soup and hot Tofu soup.. those foods can clear phlegm of lung. Fourth, the mother should go on feed the baby, because mother&#39s milk can strong the baby immune system, more longer feed mother&#39s milk, the bady will get stronger and smarter. Sixth, help encourage her or indicate her to spit or vomit the phlegm out of mouth.

top Login/Comment

comment by "archived-user"
    on Jan 2012

Chen Pi is for regular Qi not for phlegm, specially for spleen & Lung Qi. To strong the kidney Yang, massage is good way to warm up the low back temperature, also you can massage to whole back(include the back of lung), it will help clear the lung phlegm. Eat warm and hot food also good for kidney yang and spleen yang.

top Login/Comment

comment by "friendphil46"
    on Jan 2012

Thanks much for your comments and suggestion. This helps, maybe the mother will believe me now if she sees someone else has the same idea about bananas and avocado!

Now, by the way, the baby is in the hospital again, and the doctor says she does have pneumonia, with a slight fever that seems to become worse at night. Doctors are giving two antibiotics (I don&#39t know the names yet), using an inhalant medication given with oxygen, and some other medications to open bronchia and reduce phlegm-- these of course seem to be having little effect on the congestion.

The food suggestions are things I can do. How about chen pi in any foods... is this too pungent a taste for a baby? And any suggestions to boost kidney yang with foods? I have been starting to masage kidney areas.

I don&#39t know if the mother can regain her milk producing function, because she stopped about four or five months ago when she had to start working.

Thank you again for your suggestions and information.

top Login/Comment

comment by "friendphil46"
    on Jan 2012

I love giving massage to our baby, so it will be easy to follow your suggestion. Thank you again.

top Login/Comment

comment by "lee_lee"
    on May 2012

massage the baby&#39s back.

top Login/Comment

All Content 1999-2024
    Chad J. Dupuis / Yin Yang House
    Our Policies and Privacy Guidelines
    Our Affiliated Clinics