Herbs That Tonify Qi - Herbal Functional Grouping (11 herbs)
Herbs That Tonify Qi General Introduction
- Herbs in this category are generally sweet and rich.
- They are most often combined with herbs that move and regulate the qi.
Herbs That Tonify Qi Section Summary / Study Notes
- Ren Shen is used when the qi and yang have collapsed, otherwise Dang Shen is preferred.
- Body tonify yuan qi; often used together for this purpose.
- Dang Shen is good for deficient cough with profuse sputum.
- Tai Zi Shen - gentle, moist, can replace Ren Shen especially in cases of liver yang rising.
- Bai Zhu - spleen deficiency leading to digestion problems or water metabolism issues.
- Huang Qi - wei qi, warms and raises qi, water metabolism issues.
- Huang Jing, Shan Yao - relatively neutral, used for tonifying qi and yin.
- Huang Jing - more moistening, relatively stronger in nourishing yin, good for post-febrile disease where yin and qi have been injured.
- Shan Yao - astringent, used for various types of incontinence or collapse.