Herbs That Tonify Yang - Herbal Functional Grouping (18 herbs)
Herbs That Tonify Yang General Introduction
- Symptoms: Fear of cold, cold extremities, sore and weak lower back and lower extremities, pale tongue and a deep and weak pulse. Impotence, spermatorrhea, watery vaginal discharge, infertility, enuresis, polyuria, wheezing, daybreak diarrhea.
- Warm and drying; may injure yin and assist the fire (not for patients with yin deficiency).
Herbs That Tonify Yang Section Summary / Study Notes
- Rou Cong Rong, Suo Yang
- Ba Ji Tian, Yin Yang Huo, Xian Mao - fortify kidney yang, strengthen the sinews, expel wind-damp.
- Ba Ji Tian - mild, not very drying, augments essence and strengthens sinews and bones, best used for yang deficiency with damp-cold.
- Yin Yang Huo - drying, can injure the yin, but very useful for bi with waning fire at the mingment.
- Xian Mao - even stronger and more harsh, for short term use.
- Bu Gu Zhi, Yi Zhi Ren - tonify the kidneys, warm the spleen, used for urinary incontinence.
- Tu Si Zi, Shang Yuan Ji Li - tonify kidneys, retain essence, nourish the liver, brighten the eyes.
- Dong Chong Xia Cao, Ge Jie - tonify kidneys and lungs, cough, wheezing due to kidney and/or lung qi deficiency.
- Ge Jie - weaker tonifying, but good for coughing and wheezing.
- Du Zhong, Xu Duan - tonify kidneys and liver, treat pain in the lower back, calm the fetus.
- Xu Duan - lower back pain due to both wind-damp and kidney deficiency.
- Du Zhong - problems primarily due to deficiency.