Herbs That Tonify Blood - Herbal Functional Grouping (8 herbs)
Herbs That Tonify Blood General Introduction
- Symptoms of Blood Deficiency - pallid face and lips, dizziness, vertigo, diminished vision, lethargy, palpitations, dry skin, menstrual irregularities, pale tongue, fine pulse.
- Heart and liver are the most affected.
- Biomedicine - not always associated with anemia, but may arise from psychosomatic disorders, heart failure, chronic hepatitis; most herbs do not directly stimulate production of red blood cells, but perform this task indirectly.
- Not very effective when used alone - also needs herbs which tonify the yin and qi.
- Overuse may lead to indigestion - add herbs which tonify the stomach.
Herbs That Tonify Blood Section Summary / Study Notes
- He Shou Wu, Shu Di Huang - similar actions.
- E Jiao - more moistening than Shu Di Huang, good for blood deficiency with concurrent blood loss.
- Dang Gui, Bai Shao - pain and blood deficiency patterns.
- Dang Gui
- Slightly warm and invigorates blood; appropriate for blood deficiency w/cold.
- Invigorates blood and moves qi.
- Bai Shao
- Retains yin and cool; appropriate for blood deficiency w/heat.
- Retains yin and comforts the liver.