Herbs That Warm The Interior And Expel Cold - Herbal Functional Grouping (8 herbs)
Herbs That Warm The Interior And Expel Cold General Introduction
- Used to treat internal cold - either internally generated or from an opportunistic infection (OPI).
- Cold from deficiency patterns - cold limbs, fear of cold, pallid complexion, lack of thirst but desire for hot drinks, loose stools, white tongue coat, slow pulse; In serious cases - profuse sweating, watery stools, minute and deep pulse.
- Invasion of cold usually attacks the spleen and stomach - nausea, vomiting, belching, diarrhea.
Herbs That Warm The Interior And Expel Cold Section Summary / Study Notes
- Gan Jiang, Fu Zi - rescue devastated yang from collapse.
- Gan Jiang - cold from spleen and stomach deficiency; long-lasting effect.
- Fu Zi - warms and tonifies spleen and kidney yang; immediate actions.
- Gan Jiang, Wu Zhu Yu, Liang Jiang - disperse cold from the middle warmer and treats pain and coldness in the epigastrium.
- Gan Jiang - also warms lungs and transforms phlegm and stops coughing.
- Wu Zhu Yu - warms lower jiao and treats cold hernial disorders or diarrhea due to cold int he lower burner; belching and vomiting with more liver involvement.
- Gao Liang Jiang - warms the stomach and treats epigastric pain and coldness with belching or vomiting.
- Fu Zi, Rou Gui - warms and tonify the fire at the gate of vitality (ming men) and are used in treating yang deficiency and cold from deficiency of the lower burner.
- Rou Gui - milder in action, treats lower burner disorders, leads fire to its source, and is diaphoretic; not used to rescue the yang from collape.