Fu Zi TCM Herb Classifications and Usages
The TCM herb "fu zi" which in english is "prepared aconite root", is categorized within the "herbs that warm the interior and expel cold" functional grouping. It is thought to enter the heart, kidney and spleen channels and exhibits acrid and hot (re) taste/temperature properties.
Dosages and preparations will vary according to each individual and the overall approach of a formula, but generally this herb has the following dosage and/or preparation guidelines:
- Dosage: 1.5-15g
- Boil for 30-60 minutes before adding others.
Of many possible clinical applications, it may be considered to influence the following issues/symptoms:
- Restores devastated yang - extreme cold limbs with abundant cold symptoms.
- Assists heart yang to unblock vessels and improve circulation, tonifies kidney yang to augment fire and avoid loss of the basal yang.
- Warms fire and assists yang - any problem associated with weak heart, spleen, and/or kidneys.
- Disperses cold, warms the channels, alleviates pain - wind-damp-cold bi, cold blocking organs, channels, sinews, bones or blood vessels.
Fu Zi has some precautions to be considered (see our precautions list).
- Avoid during Pregnancy.
- Avoid in yin deficiency with false cold and true heat.
Our clinical staff have made the following notes, regarding fu zi:
- Can be toxic to the central nervous system and the heart.
While it may not always be included depending on the manufacturer or herbalist making the formula, fu zi is generally included in the following 6 formulas:
Fu Zi Li Zhong Wan (Aconite Regulate Middle Pills) - Spleen yang deficiency resulting in coldness of the limbs a…
Jin Gui Shen Qi Wan (Kidney Qi Pill from the Golden Cabinet) - Lethargy, low libedo, frequent urination with possible inco…
Si Ni Tang Wan (Frigid Extremities Formula) - Aversion to cold, very cold limbs, sensations of deep cold,…
Wu Mei Wan (Mume Fruit Pill) - Generally used with roundworms - abdominal pain, irritabili…
You Gui Wan (Restore the Right Kidney Pill) - Cold extremities, fatigue, weak/aching low back, knees, wai…
Zhuang Yang Wan (Strengthen Kidney Yang And Preserve Power Pill) - Tonifies the kidney yang and astringe the jing (essence), p…
As noted above, fu zi is within the herbs that warm the interior and expel cold functional group. All the herbs in this category are listed below.
(truncated intro "...
used to treat internal cold - either internally generated or from an opportunistic infection (opi).
cold from deficiency patterns - cold l…)".