Skin does not heal properly after covid contracted/vaccinated? Is it common?

forum post

Skin does not heal properly after covid contracted/vaccinated? Is it common?

Published on 06-14-2022

"nguyenbj" has authored 8 other posts.

Hi everyone,

I have noticed in my family of 4,(2 adults and 2 kids) some concern changes after recovered from Covid 2 months ago.  We had a very mild symptoms when having Covid with highnfever of one day for my girls. Myself I was constant vomitting for a day a little cough. My husband were just coughing with nasal discharge and feeling extreme cold for a few days.  After that we were feeling normal. However, the last few weeks I have noticed that we have small cut( from everyday activities) that not healing properly or taking a long time to heal. The skin at the cut site has red colour and a blister was formed. Evenmy oldest girl had stranged blistered skin under the armpit, the other kid has a long time healing with her elbow fold where she normally eczema itchyness this season. We used dr precription cream for her but not healing as fast as before. My husband had an ear infection a few weeks back for picking his ear because of itchyness and had to use antibiotic drop for the skin lesion to heal there. 

So my questions are :

1. Do all that symptoms are from Covid related or is it something else?

2. How do you explain all that with TCM? Is it toxic wind phlegm with heat? and how do you treat it?

Thank you so much for your time

Jennifer Binh Nguyen

This post has the following associations:

Formulas: fu fang zhen zhu an chuang wan, xiao chai hu tang wan, xiao yao wan, xue fu zhu yu wan

Comments / Discussions:

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
on Jun 2022

There is still much we don't know about covid in western and Chinese Medicine terms, so generalized answers will be limited.  As usual, the best answer is to see a practitioner locally and get treatment tailored to you as an individual.

That said, one of the things that appears to be happening on some people post covid in changes in the smaller blood vessels.  In TCM theory this -could- be equivalent to some type of blood stagnation/deficiency patterns.  Another aspect, of course, is generalized inflamation either related to some type of ongoing infection (low-level) and/or related to a set of auto-immune/inflammatory processes kicked off by covid.  For example, there are cases of people developing diabetes, arthritis, etc. post-covid.  The full etiology of these events in not well understood.

In proper TCM then, that is why it is important to see someone so they can treat what they see in -you-, not what they expect to see based on a history of a condition - particularly something not well understood such as covid.  

Not as a recommendation, but given the very basics of what you provided, I would be tempted to go more towards a combination such as xiao chai hu tang and xue fu zhu yu wan or xue fu zhu yu wan or xiao yao wan with something like fu fang zhen zhu an chuang wan.  But again, you should consult directly with someone.  If the person had more history of blood deficiency, maybe some blood tonics with light moving would be appropriate, history of immune/auto-immune issues maybe another approach entirely, etc.

top Login/Comment

comment by "Monica" (acupuncturist)
on Apr 2023

This is liver and kidney damage. After kidney function decreases, it can lead to edema, herpes and ear probems. After liver function decreases, it is easy to have problems with the blood and nervous system, such as non-healing after injury.

top Login/Comment

All Content 1999-2024
Chad J. Dupuis / Yin Yang House
Our Policies and Privacy Guidelines
Our Affiliated Clinics